Student Visa for Chile
International students who wish to study in Chile may require student or tourist visa depending on the nature and duration of studies in Chile. Read on to know about the Student Visa requirements and application process-
Depending on the duration of the studies, tourist or student visa for Chile is issued:
- International students whose period of study in Chile is less than 90 days do not require a student visa. They can study in Chile on a tourist visa.
- If the duration of the studies in Chile is more than 90 days, in that case, international students are required to apply for a student visa.
Nationals of Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, and Paraguay need to have a national identity card in order to enter Chile. Nationals of other countries need a valid passport in order to enter Chile.
Nationals of the following countries may be exempted from tourist visa:
- Citizens of Canada, Australia, USA, EU, Britain and Japan for a stay of maximum 90 days
- Citizens of Gibraltar, Andorra, Czech Republic, Monaco, Bahamas, Colombia, Vatican City, Guatemala, Antigua & Barbuda, Paraguay, Israel, Venezuela, Croatia, Malta, Argentina, Panama, New Zealand, El Salvador, Uruguay, Switzerland, Norway, Slovenia, Barbados, Venezuela, Macau, Tunisia, Ecuador, Bolivia, Netherlands, Brazil, Hungary, St Kitts & Nevis, Dominican Republic, Surinam, Fiji, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, South Africa, North Korea, Grenada, Turkey, Guatemala, San Marino, Hong Kong, Iceland, Montenegro, Jamaica, Mexico, Serbia , Morocco, Nicaragua, Poland, St Lucia, and Tonga for a stay of up to 90 days
- Citizens of Peru for a stay of maximum 60 days
- Citizens of Costa Rica, Singapore, Belize, Malaysia, Honduras, and Indonesia, for a stay of up to 30 days
Contact the Chilean embassy to know whether you require a visa for Chile or not.
Student Visa Application Procedure
International students who require a student visa in order to study in Chile must apply for it at the Chilean embassy/consulate
in their place of residence. Fill in a visa application form and submit it along with the necessary documents to the nearest Chile embassy. The visa application form must be completely filled and signed.
- Passport and three passport-size photos
- Proof of adequate funds to cover the cost of study and living in Chile
- Letter of acceptance from the higher education institution in Chile
- A letter of police clearance
- Health insurance
- Birth certificate
- Medical certificate
- Certificate indicating that you have obtained a scholarship/loan
- Paid visa fee receipt
- Return or onward ticket
Student Visa Fees
The visa fees vary depending on your nationality. Contact your nearest Chilean embassy to know the exact fees.
Student Visa Validity
Student visa for Chile is valid for 1 year, but it can be extended. You can apply for the extension at the immigration office before the first visa expires. You cannot work in Chile on student or tourist visa.